Become a Member of NCDD!
NCDD’s members include over 1,700 practitioners, organizations, researchers, public administrators, activists and students dedicated to solving today’s toughest problems through honest dialogue, quality deliberation and collaborative action. If this sounds like you or your organization, please join us!
The National Coalition for Dialogue & Deliberation represents a “big tent” under which many approaches and streams of practice in dialogue and deliberation have found much-needed support, ideas, and camaraderie.
We encourage you to scan the rest of this page before joining so you know what to expect.
Ready to join or renew?
- Join as an individual member
- Join as an organizational member
- Already a member? Renew or upgrade here.
How much are membership dues?
Organizations can join NCDD for $150 a year. Individuals are asked to pay annual dues of $50 if they are able to (you will be called a Supporting Member). If you would like to support NCDD at a higher level, you can join as a Sustaining Member for $125/year. We ask our Student Members to contribute $25/year while they are in school full time. However, membership dues for individuals are not required, and NCDD welcomes all who are committed to dialogue and deliberation to join us, whether or not you are able or willing to pay dues.
We especially encourage young people, those from developing countries, and those with lower incomes to take advantage of the opportunity to become a member for free. Members who do not pay dues are gaining access to a great network in the same ways as dues-paying members, though you will not be eligible for registration discounts on NCDD events or for the discounts on educational programs we’ve arranged for Supporting, Sustaining, Student, and Organizational Members.
What are the benefits of NCDD membership?
- You are becoming part of a dynamic network of great people and groups that can be accessed to share resources, get input on ideas, publicize events, obtain advice from seasoned colleagues, and more.
- You are gaining recognition and exposure within the D&D community. Members are listed on the NCDD website – the online hub for the dialogue and deliberation community – and have many opportunities to post information about your resources and events, news about your programs, and commentaries about your experiences.
- You can participate in NCDD events, programs and conference calls that introduce you to the latest innovations in our field and help you get to know more movers-and-shakers in this work.
- You will have opportunities to work with your colleagues to strengthen and unite the dialogue & deliberation (D&D) community.
- You will have myriad opportunities to network with your peers and develop mutually supportive relationships.
- You will be more aware of news, opportunities, events and resources that can help you be more effective.
What additional benefits do dues-paying NCDD members receive?
- Dues-paying members (Supporting, Sustaining, Student, and Organizational Members) are eligible for all of the discounts our partners are offering on their trainings, courses, and certificate programs (listed at www.ncdd.org/discounts). These are some of the best educational programs out there in facilitation, public engagement and conflict resolution. Our organizational members can send up to three people to these programs at the discounted rate.
- Organizational members can have up to three people listed in NCDD’s Members Network.
- Dues-paying members also receive discounts on registration to NCDD’s events.
- And other leading groups in our field sometimes extend one-time discounts on their events and trainings to dues-paying members.
- Though we generally open up our programs and activities to all members, when there is a need to stay small, we sometimes limit participation to dues-paying members only. As an example, we recently limited participation in a conference call with a representative from a foundation to dues-paying members only, since we needed to have a manageable number of participants on the call.
- But the most important benefit of becoming a dues-paying member is knowing that you are helping to ensure that NCDD can continue to develop a vibrant, supportive, collaborative community of practice for those who work in the areas of dialogue, deliberation and public engagement — and educate those not in our field about the power and potential of these processes.
Can organizations or individuals from outside the U.S. join the coalition?
Yes! We’re proud of the fact that as of June 2010, NCDD members hailed from 40 countries. We have over 200 members from outside of the U.S.
People who are based outside of the U.S. are encouraged to join the Coalition. We’d love to have you! Your membership will be no different from the U.S.-based members of NCDD.
What if I’m already a member and I want to become a dues-paying member?
If you are an NCDD Member (non-dues) and would like to upgrade to a Supporting ($50/year), Sustaining ($125), Student ($25), or Organizational Member ($150), complete the quick form at www.ncdd.org/community/renew.
If you’d prefer, you can also just follow the payment instructions below and send NCDD’s office manager, Joy Garman, a quick email with any needed clarifications.
What is expected of NCDD members?
By joining NCDD, you or your organization are pledging your commitment to fostering the effective use of dialogue and deliberation, and to helping strengthen and unite the growing dialogue and deliberation community.
Whether or not you contribute dues, you are asked to consider what else you can contribute to NCDD. Can you keep us informed about your work and your learnings by submitting periodic posts for the blog and resource center? Can you get involved in conference planning, or in another working group? Can you help keep our resources updated, or start useful discussions on the NCDD discussion lists?
Membership in NCDD implies collaboration. You are joining a coalition of people and organizations that, collectively, are better able to make a difference in this field of practice, and in the world.
How do I submit payment for membership?
New members will be given payment options after filling out the online membership form (see links at the top of the page). Existing members can submit payment in either of the following ways:
Send a Check for made out to “NCDD” to the following address.
Attn: Joy Garman
114 W. Springville Road
Boiling Springs, PA 17007
If you prefer to use a Credit Card (and we encourage those from outside the U.S. to do this so we can all avoid extra check charges), go to www.paypal.com and either log in or click on “Sign Up” if you don’t already have a PayPal account. After you are signed in, click on “Send Money.” Type the following email address into the box that asks for the Recipient’s Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you need a printed receipt, you will find a record of your transaction under “My Account” at PayPal.
If you need an invoice to process payment, or if you have any questions at all about payment or membership, feel free to contact Joy Garman, NCDD’s office manager, at email@example.com. You can also call 717-243-5144, though we prefer email.
Thanks for your interest in NCDD!
- Join now as an individual member (FREE for members; $50 for Supporting Members; $125 for Sustaining Members; $25 for students)
- Join now as an organizational member ($150 annual dues)
- Renew/upgrade your dues-paying membership